Purchase for Amazon Kindle.
Nearly everyone hopes to end up in Heaven one day. In fact, a whopping 99% of Americans believe they’ll eventually reside there. Yet the Bible claims that only a few will find the “road that leads to eternal life” (Matthew 7:14).
So how can anyone be sure of spending eternity with Jesus Christ?
Furthermore, one entire book of the Bible (see 1 John 5:14) was written specifically to address this problem of assurance of salvation. When an entire book is inspired by God to deal with a particular issue, it must be a common problem, even if people don’t admit it.
In How Can I Be Sure I’m A Christian? Donald S. Whitney explores the issue of assurance and outlines how Christians can experience a satisfying certainty of eternal life. Chapter titles are:
- Assurance of Salvation-Is It Possible?
- Having Doubts About Your Salvation
- The Basis of Assurance
- An Inner Confirmation
- Signs of Eternal Life
- A Spiritual Mind-Set (click to read)
- Things That Erode Our Assurance
- Common Problems with Uncertainty
- Those Truly Converted as Children May Experience Special Difficulties with Assurance
- Stay-at-Home Mothers of Young Children May Experience Special Difficulties with Assurance
- True Assurance Won’t Lead to Spiritual Carelessness
- Those Worried About the Unforgivable Sin Have not Committed It
- False Assurance of Salvation
- What to Do If You’re Still Not Sure
By countering a broad range of doubts with a clear, scriptural basis for confidence, Whitney provides encouragement for believers and gentle warnings to those who base their confidence in themselves rather than in God.
“If you have questions about your assurance or even somebody else’s, you should read this book. Dr. Whitney’s illustrations are superb, and his borrowings from the great theologians of the past are wise, stimulating, and well-chosen. I commend his work highly.”
-Dr. James M. Boice
“An excellent book on a vital subject.”
-John Blanchard, International Evangelist and author of Right with God and Ultimate Questions.
“How Can I Be Sure I’m a Christian? is must reading for new and old Christians alike, since we’ve all struggled with doubt.”
-Brent D. Garrison, Vice President, Moody Bible Institute
There are no reviews yet.